If you’ve ever had a flood in your basement, you know how important it is to have a sump pump installed in your basement.
Anywhere it rains, it can flood. Just because you haven’t experienced a flood in the past, doesn’t mean you won’t in the future. Flood risk isn’t just based on history, it’s also based on a number of factors: rainfall, river-flow and tidal-surge data, topography, flood-control measures, and changes due to building and development.
A sump pump can save you thousands of dollars and is priceless in terms of the peace of mind it can bring you. The main question many people ask when given this advise is “How Does a Sump Work”?
The goal of this site is to provide you with useful information and tips on how a sump pump works, as well as tips on installation and more.
Wayne Portable Transfer Water Pump
Wayne PC2 115-Volt 340 GPH Portable Transfer Water Pump, Bronze features a little and powerful water pump that uses a power supply of 115 Volts. This lightweight and portable pump will be efficient if used in your household pumping problems. It removes water down to 1/8 inch height of water. Included in the package is a threaded discharge so it can be connected to a standard garden hose.
- Heavy-duty bronze plated pump housing for durability
- Portable pump for household and utility applications
- Removes water down to 1/8-inch of surface when water suction attachment is connected
- Pumps up to 310-gallons of water per hour
- Discharge threaded to accept standard garden hose
Sump pump state that the water pump Wayne PC2 is ideal for any household or utility water pumping problems. This is a must-have in every household because it comes in handy when your basement is suddenly flooded or if you need to drain your fountain
Pros: The pump is very little and lightweight but it can effectively do its job. This is quick in transporting water because it has in and out connectors for a garden hose unlike other pumps that only have an intake opening. According to some sump pump reviews, the additional water suction attachment is very effective in pumping out water from a tank to a point that it seems almost empty. It is also fast in pumping out water even if it is small.
Cons: Some customers claim that the impeller of Wayne PC2 pump can easily burn up if the pump runs dry. But this could always be prevented if you don’t leave your pump while it is running. You don’t have to worry about keeping watch of the pump for long hours because it can easily finish the household pumping problems. The suction attachment must be sealed firmly because there are times that the suction is easy .
Liberty Pumps 257 pump, gray
Liberty Pumps are famous for their rugged build and dependable performance. These pumps are designed carefully keeping in mind the technical requirements of a sump pit and thus leaves no chance of failure.
This model of liberty pumps is considered as “workhorse” by liberty pumps and is built in a single piece cast iron body. This sump pump requires a sump pit of 10 inch diameter and is most suitable for effluent pumping or basement de watering.
- The float switch is automatic and can be adjusted for the three different levels.
- This sump pump can pump up to 50 GPM of water.
- It has a maximum discharge head of 21-foot.
- It can easily handle solids of ½” thickness.
- This pump is energy efficient; it can reduce energy consumption up to 40%. So if you need an energy efficient solution for your water pumping needs then it would definitely be a great choice for your water pumping tasks.
- The liberty 257 comes with a warranty of 3 years. And you can rely on the pump for a long period of time without getting into any troubles.
The single piece cast iron body combined with a 1/3 HP energy efficient motor and vortex impeller makes this pump a great product of liberty pumps.
The Liberty 257 pump has been used by a number of people and it has some great user reviews on Amazon. Some of its key success points are:
- It is easy to install and operate. So you will not have to get into any problems in sorting out its operation. You can easily get it installed and ready to start working.
- It has three levels for VMF (Vertical Magnetic Float Design) float switch and thus easily operates with all sizes of sump pits.
- The motor is energy efficient, but durable and thermally protected.
- It has no operational noise. You will get a soft and easy running sump pump that operates quietly without creating any disturbance or annoying noise.
- The packaging and customer service is great. You will get a perfectly packed pump sent to you in a safe packaging to ensure that it would not get damaged in any way while its sent to you.
All mechanical machines have a few shortcomings and it is always good to keep them in mind before purchasing a product.
- The float differential is smaller as compared to other pumps and thus pumps out lesser water at a time.
- It is a little expensive as compared to other pumps in the market. So you may have to burden your pocket a little extra for this sump pump.
- It is heavy and not much portable.
- The motor oil can leak unexpectedly. It may cause a hazard to the mechanical efficiency of the sump pump. And you should be very careful to check out for this issue on and off in order to make it sure that the pump doesn’t lose its lubricant and work perfectly.
- Continuous usage of Liberty sum pumpcan cause thermal overload relay problems.
GOULDS Submersible Sump Pump
A lot of things need to be considered when looking for an ideal sump pump to address all your domestic water pumping needs of the basement.
There are a number of incredible features to talk about in this sump pump by Gould Pumps. First of all, it is about the manufacturing of the system which is by the stainless steel material.
The other types of material that are involved in the interior construction of the product are plastic and rubber which are very adequately used.
It is silver in color and has a reasonably resourceful motor of 0.33 HP. The outlet connection size is of 1.25 inches and the outlet connection type that is used is the NPRT thread with a NPT connector of course.
The overall height of the unit is 12 inches and the overall width is 7 inches which makes it a nice compact system but a reasonably powerful one for a number of needs of pumping water at home.
This electrical motor type uses 115 volts and has the upper limit of temperature to be at 104 Degree Fahrenheit.
The maximum feet of the head is 21 and the sump pump has got the ability to chuck out 36 gallons of water from the basement in one minute.
- The performance is the main thing to look after first and this has a good quality 0.33 hp motor which is reliable to perform over a long time. It has the capacity to deal with the chucking of 36 gallons of water per minute.
- The stainless steel built of the system makes it totally corrosion or rust resistant. You can easily place it into the places where there is a frequent accumulation of water and where it has to be used on a constant basis. The body of the sum pump and the metal used in its manufacturing makes it completely resistant to corrosion caused by water and it would be a durable pump for you to use and make it a long term investment.
- The system as a whole is lightweight, easy to install, easy to service and portable. So no worries associated with it use.
- The ball bearing construction of the product at the upper and lower parts is of heavy duty material which endorses the reliability of the sump pump.
- The exceptional performance of the platform is complemented by the glass filled thermoplastic type of casing and the impeller.
- The 1/ 3 HP of motor cannot be ideal for extremely heavy rain-hit areas due to its limited capacity.
- There has been some issues find with the clogging of the limited size hose.
Basement Watchdog BW1050 Sump Pump, 4400 Gallon Per Hour
The sump pump should always be the first thing in your mind when the structure of your house is ready and you are looking to equip it with the essential house stuff.
The BW1050 Sump Pump from Basement Watchdog is one of the finest products that you can think about. It has got all the ingredients to look after the potential needs of your house and can also be used on a much bigger scale considering its sturdiness and top performance.
There are some fantastic pros to look for in the system which are described below:
- People want performance from such systems which is guaranteed with this system using its industrial strength PSC motor which is known to last for a long time.
- The chucking capacity for water is great to be at 2200 gallons in an hour. So you can easily rely on this sum pump for a better and full thrust water removal. It has the capacity to work for longer period of time and would not leave you in any issues.
- The sump pumps are installed in the basement which may be difficult to access if they don’t come with some supporting features. This one has a useful dual floating switch system along with a protective cage which makes it very convenient to control. Moreover, the 10 feet long cord further adds to the convenience.
- The system is intelligently designed and despite having a small diameter, the system isn’t vulnerable to clogging of any sort.
- The ½ HP motor is there which is more than enough for any kind of domestic needs. You can use this sump pump for any task that need quick solution for a heavy duty water pumping task.
There are a few concerns in the form of cons which are mentioned below:
- The float switches are not that ideally placed as they should be especially in some of the situations where they seems to be impractical to use. There can be some issue related to the float switches and you might look for other solutions in order to get it to the right position.
- There are a few concerns about the finishing of the system where some screws are found to fall off very easily. So it may feel flimsy for some people who need a firm and sturdy sum pumps that can work without getting its screws lost or fall a part.
Little Giant VS-P2800 1/3 Horsepower Pedestal Sump Pump
The sump pumps are available in a number of different types but the pedestal sump pump is the best option particularly for limited domestic use. The Little Giant VS-P2800 is a top option in a number of ways for the users.
The system is powerful enough to be used for moderate commercial duty as well. It is a reliable system which you can trust to serve your seamlessly without having any issues where a discontinuity in its operation could cause a trouble.
Keeping in mind that it has features that would inspire you to buy it and also has some points to be taken care of. You can get a clear idea after going through the details and it would help you decide and buy this one for you.
This sump pump from little giant has got quite a few advantages and positives which will highly impress the potential buyer to invest in. The following are some of the top positives and pros of this quality sump pump system:
- The people demand such systems to be powerful which can easily look after all their water pumping needs with ease. It comes with a powerful 1/ 3 Horsepower motor which can easily look after the domestic needs and can also be used for moderate commercial use.
- The water chucking capacity is an important feature to consider and this one will chuck at the rate of 47 GPM.
- It can be easily used as your primary source and can work on continuous basis.
- This pedestal type is easy to install and troubleshoot. You can control it with ease using the flexible snap action float switch.
- The ABS plastic volute would make it completely free from corrosion. It is again a special consideration after determining the nature of the job and positioning of your sump pump in the basement.
It has just the following couple of cons:
- The motor seems to be a bit unreliable where there are doubts if it will last long or not. So if you are looking for long lasting and sturdy sump pump, then it would not be a good choice for you. It may lead you towards confusion and uncertainty regarding the durability of the sump pump.