Simply Delicious; Easy Vegan Basil Pesto Recipe
This simple vegan pesto is delicious. The beauty of this pesto sauce is its versatility. Toss some pesto with your favorite pasta, for a delicious main course that even your non-vegan friends will love. Serve basil pesto with crostini for an easy 10 min. appetizer.
How to Make Pesto; A Super Simple Vegan Basil Pesto Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pine nuts (walnuts or cashews may be substituted)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine basil, nuts, garlic, and yeast in a food processor. Set the food processor to grind mixture, while slowly adding olive oil until the pesto reaches the desired consistency. The pesto should be smooth, but with some texture remaining. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Tasty Variations on the Basic Vegan Pesto Recipe
If you love the basic vegan pesto recipe, then you are sure to enjoy these delicious variations of the original recipe. Variety is the spice of life so mix it up a little and enjoy.
- Substitute mint for the basil, walnuts for the pine nuts, for a delicious Eastern Mediterranean flavor.
- Substitute cilantro for the basil and add a little lemon or lime juice. Tastes great in pasta salads.
- Substitute tarragon for the basil, use walnuts or pecans instead of pine nuts. Use this to perk up your favorite vegetable dishes.
- Substitute 1 cup of rosemary leaves and 2 cups parsley for the basil. This is excellent served with roasted potatoes.
Get More Super Simple Vegan Recipes Here
Delicious Healthy Food in 30 Minutes or LessThis is a must have cookbook for any vegan chef. Quick-Fix Vegan features 150 unique and delicious 30 minute recipes, from appetizers to desserts and everything in between.
If you’re looking for satisfying recipes to get your omnivore to eat more veggies, or you just want to add to your arsenal of vegan recipes, then you will definitely want to check out Quick-Fix Vegan
A Vegan Alternative to Parmesan Cheese
If you were wondering, “How do you make a good pesto sauce without Parmesan cheese?” The answer is nutritional yeast.
Nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast similar in color, texture, and most importantly flavor to Parmesan cheese. Nutritional yeast is an excellent vegan substitute in almost any recipe that calls for Parmesan cheese.
Another variation on Vegan Parmesan cheese is as follows:
- 1/2 cup toasted Sesame Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
Toast Sesame seeds on a baking sheet in the oven, or in a dry skillet until they are golden brown. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor. Grind on high for 30 seconds, or until you have something similar in texture to finely grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy anywhere that you would use grated Parmesan.
As an added bonus nutritional yeast is a good source of vitamin B12.
Bookmark This Vegan Basil Pesto Recipe For Future Reference
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $15.17Was: $19.99
Price: Check on Amazon